Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Comrie Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Comrie Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) River Lyon

Canmore ID 24909

Site Number NN74NE 29

NGR NN 78671 48602

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Dull
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN74NE 29 78671 48602

(NN 7867 4860) Comrie Castle (NR) (In ruins)

OS 6" map (1902)

A small keep on the River Lyon. The main block is 26' x 19' with a square tower at the SW angle containing a circular staircase. It was the original seat of the Menzies family but having been partially burned down in 1487, they built and removed to Castle Menzies, after which, about 1600, Comrie Castle was repaired and occupied by the younger branches of the family. It was occupied in 1715 as a dwelling, but has long been in a ruinous condition.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; A H Millar 1890

Comrie Castle is a tower house on the L-plan exhibiting late 16th century features. There is no trace of the earlier castle. The main block measures 8.6m E-W by 6.8m N-S overall, with a well-preserved barrel-vaulted basement. The upper floors have collapsed. At the SW corner is attached a square tower (4.4m E-W by 4.1m N-S overall) surviving to gable height, with the doorway in its S wall. It is built slightly askew to the main block. The castle walls are well provided with rectangular gun-loops with circular perforations.

Visited by OS (JM) 28 November 1974

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (BS) 28 November 1978

Architecture Notes


Nat. Lib. Nattes Library drawings Vol 14 3-4 - 3 drawings.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions