Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchadney, Church, Well And Manse

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Holy Well (Period Unassigned), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inchadney, Church, Well And Manse

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Holy Well (Period Unassigned), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Inschadney; An Tobar; Eilean Morr; Poll Tairbh

Canmore ID 24890

Site Number NN74NE 11

NGR NN 788 468

NGR Description Centred NN 788 468

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kenmore (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN74NE 11 centred 788 468.

(Area NN 788 466). The sites of the vicarage, the church and the graveyard of Inchadney were on the east side of the apex of the peninsula between the foot of Drummond Hill and the R Tay, opposite the houses at Newhall (NN 790 468). The vicarage, which was the Manse of the parish until 1760, was immediately below the Star Battery (NN 788 466). The graveyard, enclosed by a stone wall, the foundations of which may still be traced, was about 400 yds or 500 yds south of a holy well at the foot of a high bank and at the edge of Poll Tairbh. (Probably 'An Tobar' published on OS 6" at NN 7867 4725) Two old oaks are close to the line of the graveyard wall on the north and east sides. A rude stone cup, coins and pins (now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland; NMAS) were found in the well.

The church, a small oblong building, lay to the west of the churchyard. Sir James MacGregor, Dean of Lismore, who made the earliest collection of Scottish Gaelic poetry, was buried in the choir in 1551. The church and vicarage were finally demolished in 1828.

Markets were held at Inchadney until 1575 and a cross is mentioned in 1526.

W A Gillies 1938

'An Tobar' is a stone-lined circular well (0.6m in diameter and 0.4m deep) set into the base of a slope. It is surmounted by a quartz stone surround 0.7m maximum height, and is sign-posted 'Holy Well'.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

There are vague indications of a possible enclosure of uncertain shape and size at NN 7886 4674, with an old oak tree close by the NE. This may be the site of the graveyard, but there is no trace of the church nor the vicarage.

Visited by OS (AA) 16 April 1975

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS) 28 November 1978.

Location cited as NN 7886 4674 and 7867 4725.

(Undated) information in NMRS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions