Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 10 Lowther Terrace

Terraced House (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 10 Lowther Terrace

Classification Terraced House (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Great Western Road; Baxter House Eventide Home

Canmore ID 247925

Site Number NS56NE 4144

NGR NS 56288 67751

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/247925

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Summary Record (23 February 2008)

Designed by James Miller, c.1900. The largest of the three houses forming the terrace with No.s 8 and 9, partly due to expansion in 1904, including the billard room, which was then heightened and the first floor drawing room was extended above. The interior is particuarly fine, with high quality woodwork in the hall and ground floor rooms, stained glass by Oscar Paterson on the stair and the rather Baroque revival drawing room on the first floor.

The house was joined with No.s 8 and 9 in the 1940's to form a care home for the Church of Scotland, possible re-separation of the house post development in 2007-8.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

Recording Your Heritage Online

8-10 Lowther Terrace

Three grand Edwardian houses forming an irregular ashlar terrace, linked as a Church of Scotland Home, 1948, Noad & Wallace. No 8, 1904, James Miller. Jacobean Renaissance, simple interior. No 9, 1904, Sydney Mitchell. Scots Renaissance mid-terrace polished ashlar house. Bay windows linked by projecting first-floor balcony. Second-floor Jacobean dormers break roofline. Good plasterwork and first-floor library. No 10, 1900, James Miller. Renaissance, for J Cargill. Dutch Renaissance gable and attic. Ionic features at second-floor level. Delicate cast-iron balustraded balcony over doorway. Good Art Nouveau railings and second-floor balcony on west flank. Excellent interiors with Oscar Paterson stained-glass staircase window

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Site Management (16 March 2012)

Part of irregular 3-house terrace in Scots Renaissance style. 4-bay 3-storey elevation with Dutch Renaissance gable and attic. To left, additional 2-storey single bay block. (Historic Scotland)

One of three individually designed townhouses in a composition more reminiscent of London's Cadogan Square than anything Scottish. The houses are built in a combination of Giffnock and Bishoprigg stone and unusually have Westmoreland slate roofs. Each is a different interpretation of Jacobean Renaissance style, elaborately modelled with shaped gables, pilasters and turrets. No 10 was built for J Cargill. (Williamson, Riches & Higgs)

Understood to have been linked internally with 9 Lowther Terrace and converted to a care home in 1948, which was operated by the Church of Scotland until closure in 2007.

Activities

Photographic Survey (7 February 2008)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to re-development.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions