Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Glenhead

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Doune

Canmore ID 24689

Site Number NN70SE 3

NGR NN 7548 0045

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Kilmadock
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN70SE 3 7548 0045

(NN 7548 0045) Standing Stones (NR).

OS 6" map, (1958).

A group of four standing stones, three erect and one prostrate. (See Fig.7 J R Allen 1882). The erect stones are placed in a line 27ft long and vary in height from 3ft 6ins to 6ft 6ins. The central stone bears 23 cupmarks on its level top and four more on the west side, a ft above ground. The SW stone appears to have been split in half in modern times. The prostrate stone, 1ft 6ins N of the NE stone of the row, measures 6ft 6ins by 4ft 6ins, and is 1ft 6ins above ground.

J R Allen 1882.

These standing stone are generally as described by Allen. There seems to be at least twenty cupmarks on the central stone although some have been badly weathered. Each erect stone has a packing of small stones around its base.

Visited by OS (JLD), 26 May 1953.

Contrary to Allen, however, it is the prostrate stone that appears to have been split off the northernmost of the 3 erect stones.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD), 8 November 1968.

NN 754 004 This alignment of three standing stones runs from NNE to 55W over a distance of about 9m; the central stone is cup-marked, measuring 1.2m in height, and it is flanked by two leaning stones which would measure about 2m high if upright. The status of a recumbent block at the N end of the alignment is unclear, but it may have split off the northernmost stone.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions