Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rednock Castle

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Rednock Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Rednock

Canmore ID 24407

Site Number NN60SW 6

NGR NN 60035 02162

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24407

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Port Of Menteith
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60SW 6 60035 02162.

(NN 6003 0215) Tower (NR) (Remains of).

Castle of Rednock (NAT).

OS 6" map, (1958)

The remains of an old tower are all that is left of the Castle of Rednock, said to have been founded by Sir John Monteith of Rusky, but never completed. The present farmhouse and buildings have been built from the material of the old castle.

Name Book 1898.

The tower (25ft high) is now completely ivy-covered, roofless and with staircase gone.

Visited by OS (A G) 5 August 1954.

The tower, as described by Glossop, and the springing of a wall from its north side, are all that remains of the Castle of Rednock.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 15 October 1968.

NN 600 021. There may have been a castle here in the late 13th or early 14th century although the remains now visible are those of a 16th century tower-house.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

A F Hutchison 1899

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions