Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tamnafalloch

Fort (Period Unassigned), Mail Armour, Sword

Site Name Tamnafalloch

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned), Mail Armour, Sword

Canmore ID 24404

Site Number NN60SW 3

NGR NN 6291 0084

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24404

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Port Of Menteith
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60SW 3 6291 0084.

(NN 629 008) Tamnafalloch (Gravestones, Sword and Armour found) (NAT).

OS 6" map, (1958)

Tamnafalloch (the hill of strife) is a small hillock, and according to tradition was planted to commemorate a battle fought here between 'the early families of Menteith and some of his neighbours'. In the 19th century several gravestones were found during cultivation, one initialled with the letters 'P.S.'. A generation or so earlier a sword and a coat of mail were found.

Name Book 1898.

NN 6291 0084 - On Tamnafalloch, a natural hillock and the highest point of a ridge overlooking Flanders Moss, there are the remains of a small fort, much mutilated by trees (now felled), field dykes and an old road. It is oval on plan, measures internally 72m E-W by 45m transversely, and consists of a single earth rampart and outer ditch, the latter visible for a short distance on the W side only. There is an entrance in the E. side where the rampart is 1.7m in height externally, 0.7m internally. The S side has been extensively mutilated by an old road, now derelict. This fort is similar in all respects to Easter Torrie (NN60SE 3) and Brackland Glen (NN60NW 10), the three forming a compact local type.

The present whereabouts of the finds are not known.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 23 October 1968.

NN 629 008 This fort measures 70m by 45m within a single rampart with an external ditch.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions