Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Callander Castle

Castle (Medieval), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Callander Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 24376

Site Number NN60NW 8

NGR NN 62926 07558

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24376

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60NW 8 62926 07558

NN60NW 122 62960 07551 The Old Manse

(NN 6295 0754) Callander Castle (NR) (Site of).

OS 6" map, (1958)

The site of this castle is situated on the S bank of the River Teith, and within a few yards of the Manse. There are vestiges now remaining. Several human bones were unearthed a few years ago by workmen who were employed in levelling its site. The date of its erection is not authentically known.

Name Book (Perthshire), 1865

The manse (built 1868) partly occupies the site on which Callander Castle once stood, which was a strong square building of considerable height. The property was forfeited temp. James I or II of Scotland, and passed to Livingstone (later Earl of Callander) who probably repaired the castle at his accession to the earldom, as a stone is still preserved over the front door of the manse: 'AL o FH x 1569'. Part of the old castle walls may still be seen close to the manse.

M Ferguson 1911.

NN 6292 0755. The manse (built 1868) originally extended farther west and occupied part of the site of Callander Castle of which no trace exists except for a fragment of wall, 1.4m long x 1.0m high x 1.0m thick at NN 6292 0754.

The stone above the door of the manse is inscribed AL + EH x 1596 (not as stated by Ferguson).

Visited by OS (R D) 9 October 1968; Information from Rev M A MacCorquodale, St Kessog's Manse, Callander.

NN 629 075. A single fragment of masonry is all that survives of this castle. The Statistical Account (OSA) describes it as having been 'a square tower of considerable height'. It is not clear whether or not a date-stone bearing the date 1596 and now set above the door of the manse, which occupies part of the site, commemorates the original building of the castle.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

OSA 1794

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions