Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Garvamore, Garva Barracks

Barracks (18th Century)

Site Name Garvamore, Garva Barracks

Classification Barracks (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Garvamore Barracks; King's House

Canmore ID 24317

Site Number NN59SW 3

NGR NN 52804 94305

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24317

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Laggan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN59SW 3 52804 94305.

This former inn or kingshouse was used at one time as a keeper's house (Salmond 1938), allowed to increasingly fall into disrepair (Taylor 1976) and then subject to restoration (Baker and Baker). It is believed to have been used as a barracks, although in fact it was used by both soldiers and civilians who had to cross the pass (Taylor 1976). Once the Corrieyairack became a drove road, the drovers used Garvamore as a 'stance' for overnighting their cattle, as water and grazing were available. It is thought that the long two storey building dates from 1740. The restoration work of this monument has involved patching and cementing the stonework and repairing the roof.

Visited by OS March 1979.

J B Salmond 1938; W Taylor 1976; J and A Baker 1982; M Logie (Highland Council) 1997; NMRS MS/1007/4.

Site Management (5 November 1997)

Long rectangular south facing 2-storey range comprising 3-bay dwelling and slightly later stable range with heated loft accommodation; further single storey, 2-bay range at east gable. All rubble with tooled rubble dressings; some harl pointing. 3-bay block with centre door masked by later porch with side entrance; symmetrical fenestration with small 1st floor windows.

Stable block at west with 2 irregularly place 1st floor windows in front elevation; rear centre entrance (with horizontal divided double door) and side entrance (probably leading to former stairs serving loft). Off centre loft door; diminutive gable ground and attic windows. Dwelling with centre rear 1st floor window; ground floor window (lighting parlour) and further very small ground floor light. 2-bay extension at east has later square porch with pyramidal slate roof masking entrance. 9- and 12-pane glazing to front windows; 16-pane to rear ground floor window. Ridge and end stacks, at west gable (heating loft) the original stack with shaped cope survives. Slated shingle and felt tiled roofs. Interior; double leaf plank main

door of which one portion in situ and the other lying on stair half landing. Simple dog-leg stair case with slender turned pine balusters returning to 1st floor landing and thick turned newels. West ground floor room (officers' quarters') with fielded panelled window shutters to rear window fastened with a simple wooden swivel catch. Similar double leaf cupboard doors fronting cupboard with dentil decoration to shaped interior. Moulded chair rail; simple chimney piece; fielded panelled door.

Sited beside military road over Corrieyairack pass completed by General Wade 1732 from a former drovers road. Though known as barracks building might have been a "King's house", an inn built on King's highway for all travellers. Dixon has discovered the first reference to "barracks" in a guide book of 1890 by the Kingussie grocer, Mr Crerar, and considers that the misnomer comes from a combination of Victorian romanticism and an earlier unexecuted plan to build a barracks at Garvamore in 1717. Formerly roofed with heavy local slates, a pile of which lay behind building until recently. Stable ceiling in very poor condition. Loft above heated by hearth served by gable end hearth and probably used as troops' sleeping quarters. Building subsequently used as keeper's house. Now empty. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions