Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Laggan

Logboat

Site Name Loch Laggan

Classification Logboat

Alternative Name(s) Loch Laggan 3; Kinloch; River Pattack

Canmore ID 24304

Site Number NN58NW 3

NGR NN 533 889

NGR Description NN c. 533 889

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24304

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Laggan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN58NW 3 c. 533 889

Loch Laggan was lowered some 16' in 1934 and a dug out canoe was found at the extreme eastern end of the loch near where the Pottack burn runs into it. The loch has been lowered again since then and in August 1948 it was reported that the remains of a canoe, approximately 30' along, could be seen in the sand at the eastern end of the loch, south of the Pottack burn. These sitings possibly refer to the same canoe.

(For other canoes found in this loch see NN58NW 3 and NN58NW 4 ; NN48SE 1 and NN48SE 2 ; NN48NE 1)

S Maxwell 1953.

The canoe, submerged at time of investigation, can only be seen when the level of the loch is at its lowest. Mr MacDonald (E MacDonald, Moy Farm, Tulloch, Inverness-shire) pointed out its position at NN 5335 8894. This is the only canoe he knows of in this area.

Visited by OS (NKB) 13 October 1965.

Seven logboats and the remains of a framed boat of unknown date (NN48NE 4) have been discovered during periods of low water level on the shores of Loch Laggan, an extensive highland loch which occupies a deep glaciated valley in the catchment area of the River Spean at an altitude of about 280m OD and is used for the generation of hydro-electric power. The various accounts of the five earlier discoveries were collated in 1951 but those made subsequently have received only brief publication.

3. In August 1948 the remains of a 'fir' logboat measuring about 30' (9.2m) in length was seen 'in the sand' at the E end of the loch, and to the S of the mouth of the River Pattack. It was not recorded in detail.

Although this was possibly a re-discovery of Loch Laggan 2 (NN58NW 6), the recorded locations are sufficiently far apart to justify the separate recording of the two discoveries. The OS suggest that this boat survives underwater at NN 5335 8894 and is exposed intermittently. In August 1992, beach-walking and underwater survey (by Niall Gregory) failed to locate these remains.

S Maxwell 1953; R J C Mowat 1996; Information from Mr N Gregory, NMRS MS/736/4.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions