Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Killin, Innes Bhuidhe, Burial Ground Of The Macnabs

Burial Ground (18th Century)

Site Name Killin, Innes Bhuidhe, Burial Ground Of The Macnabs

Classification Burial Ground (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Island Of Inchbuie; Mcnabs

Canmore ID 24204

Site Number NN53SE 26

NGR NN 57317 32632

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN53SE 26.00 57317 32632

(NN 5730 3263) Grave Yard (NR)

OS 6" map (1861).

NN53SE 26.01 NN 57171 32492 Gateway and (gate) piers

See also NN53SE 11.

Burial Ground of the MacNabs, at the NE end of Innis Bhuide, consisting of an enclosure in which the chiefs were buried and outside this on the east the graves of members of the clan.

The enclosure is rubble-built, 18th century, with arched door and windows and ball finials, but among the graveslabs and effigies is a medieval slab bearing a kilted figure.

At the SW end of the island, across the approach to the burial ground, is an 18th century rubble-build screen wall with three arches and ball-finials; and a pair of large circular rubble piers with ball-finials.

C G Cash 1912.

This burial ground is as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (SFS), 16 September 1975

NN 573 326. An earthwork consisting of a rampart measuring 4.5m thick and 0.6m high, with an external ditch, cuts off the NE tip of the island( see NN53SE 11). A burial-ground of the clan MacNab occupies much of the interior and at least one of the grave-slabs is medieval in date.

RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1978

CG Cash 1912.

Burial Ground [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, November 2009.

Activities

Note (4 December 2014 - 18 May 2016)

A small fortification occupies the NE tip of a small island immediately below the Falls of Dochart, where the River Dochart flows past in channels deeply incised into the rock to either side; the only access is along the island from the SW, currently from the road bridge, from which a trackway leads to the walled burial-ground of the MacNabs, cutting through the remains of a small fort on the summit of the island to the SW (Atlas No. 2608). The fortification on the tip of the island is a promontory work, formed by the construction of a rampart with an external ditch to block access from along the spine of the island to the SW. The rampart measures about 4.5m in thickness by 0.6m in height, and its accompanying external ditch some 6m in breadth by 0.9m in depth. The latter is apparently unbroken by any entrance causeway, but there is a central gap in the rampart where the trackway passes through to the walled burial-ground. The tapering interior measures about 40m in length and tapers from about 20m in breadth immediately to the rear of the rampart on the SW to a point on the NE (0.04ha); apart from the burial ground, it is featureless. An old drystone dyke also traverses the island in the bottom of the ditch.

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 18 May 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC2609

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions