Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Tay, Eilean Sputachan

Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Loch Tay, Eilean Sputachan

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Eilean Puttychan; Killin Pier

Canmore ID 24197

Site Number NN53SE 2

NGR NN 5824 3422

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24197

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN53SE 2 5824 3422.

This crannog measures about 45m in diameter and has become incorporated into a peninsula; it is mentioned in a document of 1568 and is probably the westernmost of the three settlements shown on Mercator's map of 1590. This is probably the 'island...marked by a tree' that Mitchell notes 'in Finlarig Bay, to the west of Killin Pier'.

F O Blundell 1913; W A Gillies 1938; G E Oakley 1973; Scotsman Magazine, vol.2, July 1981; T N Dixon 1983; I Morrison 1985.

This peninsula lies c.100m W of Killin Pier, at the westernmost end of the loch. The loch is very shallow here due to extensive silting which has resulted in what was once an island becomming a peninsula. The mound is c.45m in diameter and stands c.4m proud of the water at its highest point. The whole mound is in very shallow water with c.1m depth on the E side at the deepest point. Gilles (1938) refers to a tack of 1568 by which Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy let lands of Morenish Wester to Patrick Campbell, brother to Duncan Campbell of Glenlyon. The yearly rent was to be 'a sheaf of arrows, if required' and the new tenant had powers to set six small nets around the island and to erect a stable on it. He also had to make his residence on the island or on the land of which it was a part. This is probably the westernmost of the three settlements shown in the loch on Mercator's map of 1620.

W A Gillies 1938; T N Dixon 1983.

A summary of the work carried out by the Scottish Trust for Underwater Archaeology in 2004 is included in The University of Edinburgh's 50th Annual Report, 2004.

N Dixon 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions