Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Of Eilan Rowan

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Castle Of Eilan Rowan

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 24193

Site Number NN53SE 16

NGR NN 5770 3340

NGR Description NN c.5770 3340

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN53SE 16 c.5770 3340.

Islandran is a portion of the haugh bordering on the Lochay near its junction with the Dochart (NN 57 33). On it there is an eminence, a few feet high, which appears to have been encircled by a moat, now almost filled up. Christie believes this is the site of the stronghold of the Macnabs mentioned as 'Illarayin' in 1525 and as the castle of 'Eilan Rowan' which was burned to the ground at the time of the Commonwealth. There are no remains but some worked stones on the bank of Lochay close by may have come from here. (Nothing to be seen on available AP's (RAF 1946).

J Christie 1892

A small, raised area of ground centred on NN 5770 3340 and surrounded by marshy haughland. It was formerly an island and is believed to be the site of the castle of Eilan Rowan' (James MacNab, Finlarig House, Killin).

There are no remains nor is there any indication of a moat. There are several stones alongside the river but they do not appear to have been worked.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 August 1969

OS (WDJ) confirmed.

Visited by OS (SFS) 17 September 1975

NN 577 334 It has been suggested that a low natural ridge close to the junction of the rivers Lochay and Dochart is the site of the castle of 'Eilan Rowan', but there is no evidence of any artificial work here.

RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1978

J Christie 1892


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions