Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Killin, Kinnell Park

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Killin, Kinnell Park

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Achmore, Stone Circle; Kinnell House Policies

Canmore ID 24189

Site Number NN53SE 12

NGR NN 57700 32803

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24189

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN53SE 12 57700 32803

(NN 5770 3280) Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1901)

A circle, 30' in diameter, of six stones from 4' to 6'6" high, each erected with a broad face on the line of the circumference.

R W Feachem 1963

This stone circle is as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (SFS) 16 September 1975

NN 577 328 This stone circle consists of six upright slabs, standing between 1.2m and 2m high, which have been set on the circumference of a flattened circle measuring between 9.5m and 8.5m in diameter. The northernmost stone bears three cup-marks.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978

Postcard dated 1908 in Postcard collection held in Print Room.

Information from RCAHMS (KM), 23 February 1996.

The circle has a diameter of c.10m and is made up of six stones ranging in height from c.1.4m to 1.9m. It lies approximately 100m SE of the River Dochart overlooking the confluence of the Dochart and the Lochay, and the western end of Loch Tay.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 13 March 1996.

Activities

Publication Account (1985)

This small stone circle is situated in a pasture field immediately south-west of Kinnell House. Few circles with stones as tall as these are so well-preserved, and it is possible that the good condition of this example owes more than a little to its proximity to the former home of the MacNab of Mac Nab. During the late 18th and early 19th centuries it was fashionable to have antiquities in the parkland surrounding great houses, and the stone circle may have been 'improved' during that period.

There are six stones in the ling and they are arranged on the circumference of a flattened circle measuring 9.5m by 8.5m in diameter. Unlike some other circles, the stones are not graded in height but the two tallest stones (up to 2m high) lie adjacent to each other on the south-west quadrant and they are flanked on the north and east by the two shortest stones (1.2m high). On the top of the northernmost stone there are three plain cup-marks: this is a rather unusual place to find them as they are normally to be seen on the flat faces of standing stones.

The Kinnell circle is one of the more westerly exam pies of a large number of stone circles to be found in Perthshire.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

Field Visit (10 July 2018)

This stone circle was re-surveyed by history students from the University of North Alabama under the supervision of HES. Several new features, including an internal cairn, were noted for the first time.

The ring is situated in improved pasture on a low ridge within open parkland, about 135m WSW of Kinnell House. It measures 9.2m from NE to SW by 8.7m transversely and comprises 6 orthostats. These are roughly graded in height, with the tallest on the WSW (1) measuring 1.97m high, while the shortest on the NE (4) measures 1.35m high. However, the WSW orthostat has been raised from a slumped position since 1909 and those on the S (6) and ESE (5) are only a few centimetres shorter. Each is a natural schist slab, but the fabric of that on the WSW is notable for quartz veining and numerous small garnets. Three small cup marks are situated on the upper section of the inner face of the N orthostat (3). Packing stones are visible at the foot of the external face of at least three of the orthostats (3, 4, 5), but the internal faces of each closely circumscribes the disturbed cairn which occupies the interior of the ring.

There is little doubt that this stone circle is one of the ‘Druidical temples’ that the Reverend Colin Maclean noted in the parish in the late 18th century (Maclean 1796, 466); and it probably owes its’ survival to the fact that it was during this period that such antiquities were often perceived by the gentry as a cultural asset to their estates (Stevenson 1985, 140). Although the Reverend Hugh Macmillan misconstrued the number of orthostats in the late 19th century, he identified the presence of the ‘few faint cup-marks’ (Macmillan 1884, 373-4). Coles, who was greatly impressed by this example of ‘megalithic craft’, prepared a detailed plan and sketches in which the WSW orthostat is shown leaning steeply N (Coles 1910, 130-2). Although he failed to notice the ring’s stony interior, he observed that the orthostats did not all fall on the circumference of a circle - an observation that was reinforced by the survey taken by Professor Alexander Thom on 6 April 1955 (MS/430/21). Thom, who recorded that the WSW orthostat had been raised, classified its’ shape variously as a ‘definite ellipse’ or a ‘Type B flattened circle’ (Thom 1967, 72, 139 (P 1/3); Thom, Thom and Burl 1980, 330-1). Using his figures, Burl initially construed the difference between the axes as 1.6m (Burl 1976, 363; Thom, Thom and Burl 1980, 331), whereas RCAHMS, in accepting it as a flattened circle, evaluated it as 1m (RCAHMS 1979, 16). Although the footings of the WSW orthostat are unlikely to have been interfered with when it was raised, an emphasis on the measurement of the long axis for classification could be misplaced. The intention may have been simply to accentuate the orientation. Burl was almost certainly correct to seek its analogues amongst the 6-stone rings of Central and NE Scotland (Burl 1976, 190, 192; 2000, 244).

Visited by HES (ECB, AMcC, ATW), 10 July 2018

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions