Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duncroisk

Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Site Name Duncroisk

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Duncroisk 4, Glen Lochay

Canmore ID 24168

Site Number NN53NW 15

NGR NN 5322 3582

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24168

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN53NW 15 5322 3582.

In a field E of Duncroisk and just S of the road is a prominent ridge of quartzite schist bearing eight groups of cup marks (many ringed) on its upper surface. The cups are up to 4 cms deep and the rings up to 25 cms in diameter.

'A': About 4.0m from the E end of the ridge are some ill-defined cup marks on very rough stratified rock.

'B': 9.0m further W on a near horizontal shelf are one cup with two rings, 14 cups with one ring and at least 58 single cups.

'C': 1.0m further W are a clearly defined cup with two rings and a single cup.

'D': 1.0, further W are one cup with two rings, three cups with one

ring and two single cups.

'E': 0.25m further W are two cups with one ring and 35 single cups.

'F': 7.0m further W is an area of three cups with one ring and 60

single cups.

'G': 3.0m further W are 10 cups with one ring and 15 single cups.

'H': 1.0m further SW is a small slab bearing three cups.

D Haggart 1895; C G Cash 1912; E A Cormack 1952; R W B Morris TS 1975

NN 5322 3584 to NN 5319 3583. An area of cup and ring marked rock as described.

Visited by OS (GHP) 5 July 1962 and (BS) 10 September 1975

NN 532 358 A long ridge of rock outcrop bearing eight groups of cup and cup-and-ring marks.

RCAHMS 1979; visited September 1978

D Haggart 1895; C G Cash 1912

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1895)

An article 'Notice of the discovery of cup- and ring-sculpturings at Duncrosk, near the Falls of Lochay, in Glenlochay' by D Haggart, Killin in Proceeding of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland in 1895 records the discovery of the site by Mr John McNaughton, Duncrosk and describes the cup and ring marks.

A water-colour drawing and pencil sketches were made by an artist, Mrs Woodcock from Southport.

Field Visit (2012)

Further survey work was carried out on Corrycharmaig (NN 527 358), Duncroisk (NN 530 363), Easter Tullich (NN 526 367) and Tirai (NN 529 367). Of greatest significance over the past year was the discovery, during archival research, of three 17th-century references to a Croftravie or Croftrevie, listed between Innischoarach (NN 493 367) and Corrycharmaig Farms. In 1634–35 Jon and Donald McInnes, the latter a shepherd, lived there, but by 1688, two McGrigors, Jon and Duncan, were in residence. No other references to Croftravie have been found to date.

Intensive fieldwork, carried out on Corrycharmaig from March to May 2012, discovered the presence, in the oak woods bounding the S banks of the River Lochay, of a small cluster of dry stone structures including a house and outbuildings (NN 5122 3661). It is a possibility that these remains are those of Croftravie. The other findings from the survey comprise shieling-type huts, field systems and several dry stone buildings, one of which is extant to 2.9m high (NN 5141 3649).

On Duncroisk, a survey of a small group of shieling huts above the old head dyke was undertaken (NN 5381 3654). An area of improved ground (NN 5359 3756) immediately below an improvement dyke was also surveyed, including several dry stone and turf buildings and the remains of activities from the Breadalbane Hydro-electric Project of the 1950s.

An update on ACFA’s initial survey in Glen Lochay on Tirai and Easter Tullich is underway. Archaeological features that were noted above an improvement dyke in the early 1990s have been drawn and fieldwalking above the old head dyke is nearing completion. Here, a small group of five shieling huts were recorded in October (NN 5297 3734).

Three ACFA Occasional Papers have been published this year: Tomochrocher, Batavaime and Tuerichan, the latter a former farm now subsumed within Corrycharmaig.

Archive: ACFA Occasional Papers are deposited with RCAHMS and the Stirling and Clackmannanshire SMR

Dugald MacInnes, Association of Certificated Field Archaeologists (ACFA)

2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions