Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Cup (Stone)

Site Name Lochearnhead

Classification Cup (Stone)

Canmore ID 24128

Site Number NN52SE 4

NGR NN 5910 2388

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Comrie (Stirling)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN52SE 4 5910 2388.

(Area: NN 590 239) A cup of greenish-grey gabbro, 3 1/2ins diameter, 3ins high with a cavity about 1 1/2ins deep, was found in November, 1887 in the course of excavating a corner of a field for forming a curling-pond east of the hotel and some thirty yards below the public school at Lochearnhead.

Quite close to the cup at the foot of a large boulder was a circular patch of dark brown mould, covered with about two dozen pebbles of milk-white quartz.

A few yards to the east, in the same field, is a little mound or hillock called Tom-na-h-ath, or hillock of the kiln.

D Haggart 1888.

The curling-pond is at NN 5910 2388. No further information was found regarding these finds or the 'hillock of the kiln'. The remainder of the field containing the curling-pond is now occupied by houses and gardens, there is no trace of a mound or hillock.

Visited by OS (W D J) 3 December 1968.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions