Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Queensferry, Hawthorn Bank

Brewery (19th Century)(Possible), Building (19th Century)

Site Name South Queensferry, Hawthorn Bank

Classification Brewery (19th Century)(Possible), Building (19th Century)

Canmore ID 240320

Site Number NT17NW 264

NGR NT 130 783

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/240320

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NW 264 130 783

NT 130 783 Six archaeological trial trenches were machine-excavated in October 2002 in advance of a proposed development. The fieldwork uncovered a series of stone walls which were identified as garden boundaries and remains of 19th-century buildings. Large parts of the site were covered in late 20th-century demolition deposits up to 1.8m deep. No medieval remains were uncovered during the fieldwork.

The stone walls that ran along the S side of the site contained architectural details that indicate that they were part of a building. The wall fabric and map evidence indicate an 18th- or early 19th-century date.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Morningside Homes Ltd.

M Dalland 2002

NT 1299 7826 A programme of historic building recording was undertaken in July and August 2004 on four sections of boundary wall prior to their demolition as part of a redevelopment programme (see DES 2002, 53). Blocked features in parts of the wall suggested that they were originally parts of buildings which were later converted into boundary walls after the buildings were demolished. Map evidence indicates that the original buildings dated to the mid- to late 19th century.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Peter Walker Developments.

D Sproat 2004

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (October 2002)

NT 130 783 Six archaeological trial trenches were machine-excavated in October 2002 in advance of a proposed development. The fieldwork uncovered a series of stone walls which were identified as garden boundaries and remains of 19th-century buildings. Large parts of the site were covered in late 20th-century demolition deposits up to 1.8m deep. No medieval remains were uncovered during the fieldwork.

The stone walls that ran along the S side of the site contained architectural details that indicate that they were part of a building. The wall fabric and map evidence indicate an 18th- or early 19th-century date.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Morningside Homes Ltd.

M Dalland 2002

Standing Building Recording (July 2004 - August 2004)

NT 1299 7826 A programme of historic building recording was undertaken in July and August 2004 on four sections of boundary wall prior to their demolition as part of a redevelopment programme (see DES 2002, 53). Blocked features in parts of the wall suggested that they were originally parts of buildings which were later converted into boundary walls after the buildings were demolished. Map evidence indicates that the original buildings dated to the mid- to late 19th century.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Peter Walker Developments.

D Sproat 2004

Note (8 July 2015)

A bewery and malt kiln is depicted at this location on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Linlithgow 1856 II.16).

Information from RCAHMS (LMcC) 8 July 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions