Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Clyde Defences, Cloch Point Battery

Searchlight Battery (20th Century), Searchlight Battery (Second World War), Searchlight Battery (First World War)

Site Name Clyde Defences, Cloch Point Battery

Classification Searchlight Battery (20th Century), Searchlight Battery (Second World War), Searchlight Battery (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Cloch Lighthouse

Canmore ID 240246

Site Number NS27NW 21.01

NGR NS 20295 75793

NGR Description NS 20280 75697, NS 20307 75838 and NS 20448 76021

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/240246

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (3 July 2013)

Plans dated 1916 exist for two Defence Electric Lights but the remains of three have been identified on the site; it is not known when the third searchlight was added.

A fourth searchlight emplacement lies to to the S at NS 20280 75697, this does not appear on the 1916 plan of the battery (The National Archives WO 192/106), and therefore may be a Second World War searchlight emplacement.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 3 July 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NS27NW 21.01 20295 75793, 20307 75838 and 20448 76021

Three searchlight positions linked to the Cloch Battery situated upslope to the E, have been noted by the Defence of Britain Project to the N and S of the Cloch Lighthouse. All are built of brick and concrete, the most complete being that situated at NS 20295 75793 which was painted white during 1997. The searchlight bay on the platform at NS 20307 75838 has been reduced to half height. That at NS 20448 76021 has been partly demolished and re-used as a viewing point, the reduced walls being capped by stones.

Information from Defence of Britain Project recording forms, (J Locock and J King) 1998

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Field Visit (2 March 2016)

The remains of this First World War searchlight emplacement, subsequently converted into a private garage, are situated about 90m SSW of Cloch Point Lighthouse (NS27NW 16) and immediately WNW of the A770 public road. The identification of the surviving elements of the building is aided by a detailed design drawing that survives within The National Archive (WO 78/5185, E.L. Emplacements (Proposed)). The light was powered by a diesel power station situated about 100m to the ENE (NS27NW 21.05), and formed one of a pair, the other situated some 275m to the NE (NS27NW 21.02). The building was not recorded in detail on the date of visit.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (GG, AK, AM) 2 March 2016.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions