Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Clyde Defences, Portkil Battery, Cookhouse, Workshop And Latrines

Kitchen (20th Century), Kitchen (First World War), Workshop (20th Century), Workshop (First World War)

Site Name Clyde Defences, Portkil Battery, Cookhouse, Workshop And Latrines

Classification Kitchen (20th Century), Kitchen (First World War), Workshop (20th Century), Workshop (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Fort Road

Canmore ID 239747

Site Number NS28SE 39.08

NGR NS 24985 80503

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/239747

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rosneath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (5 July 2013)

Previously recorded as NS28SE 39.01 as an observation post. This was mis-idenfied from the aerial imagary. The Battery Observation Post lay to the rear of the 6-inch gun emplacements (see NS28SE 39.03).

The pre-1914 and wartime plans of the site (The National Archives WO 78/5184) show that the buildings located mid-way between the two sets of gun emplacements were a Cookhouse, Ablution and Latrines block and the NE building was a Workshop.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 5 July 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NS28SE 39.01 24985 80503

The observation tower for Portkil Battery, situated about 70m NW of the gun emplacements is visible on postwar vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/ 350, 5210-5211, flown 17 April 1948).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2003

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Field Visit (28 September 2016)

Situated midway between the two main gun emplacements (NS28SE 39.01 and 02) are two semi -sunken buildings comprising a workshop and a cookhouse. A plan of the battery (National Archives: WO 78/5184) depicts a latrine attached to the ESE end of the cookhouse. Both elements of this building appear to survive as depicted on the contemporary plan, but neither could be accessed on the date of visit. The stripping of earth has recently revealed the stepped outside face of the SSW side and WNW end of the cookhouse, the latter containing a large chimney breast. The flat-roofed workshop, which is situated immediately NNE of the cookhouse, remains in use as a store but its WNW, NNE and ESE sides are now hidden within a modern structure with timber clad walls that supports an area of decking.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (AKK) 28 September 2016.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions