Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 5 New Street, School

Office (20th Century), School (20th Century), Workshop (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 5 New Street, School

Classification Office (20th Century), School (20th Century), Workshop (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) East Market Street; Former Infant School

Canmore ID 239147

Site Number NT27SE 5139

NGR NT 26235 73772

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/239147

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Summary Record (16 February 2012)

Designed by Robert Wilson, architect for Edinburgh School Board c.1900-1. Two storey former school building with Queen Anne details, since the early 1980's the building was largely subdivided and given over to small business units.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

Site Management (21 June 2008)

2-storey former school building with Queen Anne detailing, shaped gables and square-plan bellcote with columns supporting slated, swept roof and gilded cockerel weathervane. Coursed bull-faced sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Base course; eaves cornice. Long and short quoins; raised margins; tabbed surrounds. Built on sloping site, ground made up at N with coped, random coursed bull-faced sandstone retaining wall below playground level (iron railings over); windows to East Market Street containing series of offices and workshops.

Built by Robert Wilson, architect for Edinburgh School Board, as North Canongate Infant School. The building became a school of building in 1943, offices in 1968 and the Canongate Venture, housing a variety of small businesses and workshops, in 1981. The central galleried hall remains virtually unchanged and is a good, typical example of Board School design of the period. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Photographic Survey (18 November 2008 - 25 November 2008)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to possible demolition as part of the Caltongate redevelopment mooted in 2008.

Building still standing as of Feb. 2012.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions