Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achlauchrach, Glen Spean Roman Catholic Church Of St Cyril

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Achlauchrach, Glen Spean Roman Catholic Church Of St Cyril

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St. Cyrils; Church Of Cille Choirill

Canmore ID 23907

Site Number NN38SW 1

NGR NN 30695 81213

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23907

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Church of Cille Choirill (RC), medieval and 20th century. Chapel/monk's cell, rebuilt from a state of ruin, 1933. Only one opening - the round-arched window with moulded jambs on the southeast - is genuinely medieval, possibly 13th century, re-used. Others, and the bellcoted, swept roof date from the work of 1933, funded by subscriptions from Canadian descendants of Lochaber emigrants; shoring up and renovation in 1991 by the Scottish Churches Archaeological Trust. Breasting Tom Aingeal, with a bird's eye view over Glen Spean and the Monessie Gorge, this solitary chapel is dedicated to the Irish missionary, St. Cyril.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2007. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NN38SW 1 307 812.

(NN 307812) Cille-Choril (NAT)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed., (1872)

Cille Choiril (NR) (Ruins of R.C. Chapel)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Kil-a-Choireil (church of St. Cyril); a Roman Catholic church and burying - place, the latter containing the graves of the bards Iain Lom anad Domhuill Mac Fhuinlaidh, and also the graves of the priests of the glen.

D B MacCulloch 1938; Information from Celtic Monthly, June 1901 and November 1903.

The church and its burial ground are still in use.

Visited by OS (A C) 10 July 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions