Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achallader Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Achallader Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Achallader House

Canmore ID 23901

Site Number NN34SW 1

NGR NN 32218 44249

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23901

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Glenorchy And Inishail (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN34SW 1 32218 44249

(NN 3222 4428) Tower (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1970)

Achallader Castle, a small tower house, was built by Sir Duncan Campbell shortly before 1600. The castle was attacked and burnt by members of the Jacobite army in 1689, and is now fragmentary. While the N and E walls stand almost to their original heights, only a small portion of the W surives and the S wall has disappeared completely.

The tower is oblong on plan, measuring 8.7m from E to W by 6.7m transversely over walls which vary in thickness from 0.91 to 1.07m. The accommodation comprised three storeys and a garret, the side-walls rising to a height of 9.3m. The masonry is of random rubble laid in lime mortar, with dressings of schist.

RCAHMS 1975, visited 1970

When visited in 1962, the remains of Achallader Castle were in a condition similar to that described by the RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (EG) 27 June 1962

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE

NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF SCOTLAND (SRO)

New of destruction of the Castle

Letter from Lord Breadalbane to Alexander Campbell.

1689 GD 170/629/14 and 15

[Cross ref GD 112/40/3. Order for burning the Castle.]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions