Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Killiechonate

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 23805

Site Number NN28SW 4

NGR NN 2417 8107

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN28SW 4 2417 8107.

(NN 2421 8112) Killiechonate (NAT)

OS 6"map, (1971)

Kylliehonnet (NAT)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed., (1870)

Killiehonnet stands for Cill Chonaid - "Church of the Little Hound." The commemoration is feminine in form, but is otherwise unknown.

W J Watson 1926.

Mr Cameron (A Cameron, 8 Glenmallie Terrace, Caol, Fort William) remembers his grandfather saying that the foundations of what was believed to have been a church were removed when stables were built at NN 2417 8107.

He also indicated a supposed graveyard at NN 2390 8112. About 50 years ago it was an enclosure surrounded by a low bank which supported some trees, and he remembers seeing a number of depressions which he assumed to be graves. Now all that survives are the poorly-defined NW and SW sides (each c. 20.0m long) of a rectilinear enclosure bank upon which are several large trees. There is no evidence for "graves".

Forty metres SW from the church site, at NN 2414 8103, is a well-preserved well which may have been contemporary with the church. It is dry-stone built and roofed with slabs and according to Cameron access is gained by descending a number of steps, but at time of visit, access was not possible because the water level was too high.

Visited by OS (J M) 9 September 1974.

No further details regarding the church were obtained. The described boundaries of the alleged graveyard do not appear to form a homogeneous unit. The SW side is a short portion of a lengthy field wall and the other side a tree line with no signs of walling or banking material between the trees. No further evidence for this being the site of a graveyard was encountered locally. The well is as described by the previous investigator; the alleged steps could not be detected.

Well surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (J B) 3 May 1979.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions