Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eilean An Stalcair

Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Eilean An Stalcair

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Tulla

Canmore ID 23779

Site Number NN24SE 1

NGR NN 2904 4252

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23779

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Glenorchy And Inishail (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN24SE 1 2904 4252.

(NN 2904 4252) Eilean an Stalcair (NAT) Crannog (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

Fortified Dwelling, Eilean Stalcair (Site): This island lies near the centre of Loch Tulla; it is roughly circular on plan and has a diameter of about 21m. Superficially, the island appears to be composed entirely of small boulders. There is no sign of any kerb or revetment, and the loch shelves steeply on all sides except the SW, where there is a shallow beach.

When visited by the RCAHMS, the stumps of five horizontal logs were exposed at the top of this beach. Spaced at intervals of about 0.8m, the logs varied in size, the largest being about 0.4m in diameter; all appeared to be of coniferous timber, probably Scots pine. Traces of a second layer of logs could also be seen, running parallel to the first. The remaining portions of the logs evidently lie buried beneath the boulders that compose the main core of the island, which must at least be partly artificial. The summit of the island lies about 1.5m above the usual surface-level of the loch (which was 0.3m below its usual level when visited), but contains no structural remains, apart from a modern duck-shooting hide. On the NE side of the island there is a small inlet which has probably been utilised as a boat-landing.

The island of "Elanelochtollyff" formed part of the lands of Glenorchy mentioned in 1432. Stuart's account mentions that a local forester had observed "on a calm summer day, a few feet below the surface of the water, the ends of logs of wood laid horizontally under the stones". RCAHMS 1975, visited 1971; J Stuart 1868

When visited in 1962, this "evidently artificial" island measured 26m N-S by 20m E-W, and the heaped rubble- stone comprising it was 1.2m above water level.

Visited by OS (FRH) 30 June 1962

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions