Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, 78th Highlanders Memorial

Commemorative Monument (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, 78th Highlanders Memorial

Classification Commemorative Monument (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Canmore ID 236890

Site Number NT27SE 1.54

NGR NT 25350 73529

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/236890

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

See also, NT27SE 1.33 Castle Esplanade

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (25 September 2002)

Celtic cross including three lower stages, on large stone base. The top half of the cross is carved with Celtic knots on all four sides. Below them is a stag's head in low relief, then an inscription (in incised Gaelic letters). Below that is an elephant in profile, carved in low relief. Below the shaft of the cross is a stone block carved with Celtic knotwork on its N., E. and W. sides and an inscription panel on its S. side. Below this is a larger stone block carved with lists of soldiers on its E., S and W. sides. There are also three inset panels on the S. side carved with details of the Indian Mutiny. The lowest block is plain except for the carver's and builders' names.

According to The Art-Journal of 1862, the armorial bearings of the regiment (stag and elephant) are 'sculptured, in bas-relief' by George MacCallum.

The stag and the elephant are the armorial bearings of the regiment.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : Around circle of cross at top [Gaelic inscription]

Below circle (raised numbers): 7 8

Above stag's head on shaft of cross (incised Roman numerals): LXXVIII

Below stag's head (incised letters): CUIDICH AD RIGH

Above elephant (incised letters): ASSAYE : MAIDA : JA- / VA : PERSIA : KOOSH-AB

On S. face of 1st stage below cross shaft (incised letters):

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS / AND PRIVATE SOLDIERS OF THE LXXVIII HIGHLAND REGIMENT WHO FELL IN / THE SUPPRESSION OF THE MUTINY OF THE NATIVE ARMY OF INDIA IN THE / YEARS MDCCCLVII AND MDCCCLVIII : THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED AS A / TRIBUTE OF RESPECT BY THEIR SURVIVING BROTHER OFFICERS AND / COMRADES AND BY MANY OFFICERS WHO FORMERLY BELONGED TO THE / REGIMENT. ANNO DOMINI MDCCCLXI :

On S. face of 2nd stage below cross shaft, in inset panels (incised letters), from W. to E.:

West:- [G]UTTERPORE [?] / AOUNG PANDOO- / NUDDI. CAWNPORE / ONAO BUSSEERAT / GUNGA BOORB[C?]A / KECHOWKEE

Centre:- BITHOOR PASSAGE / OF THE GANGES / MUNGUR[WAR?] / ALUM-BAGH / FIRST RELIEF OF / LUCKNOW

East:- DEFENCE OF LUCK / NOW DEFENCE OF / THE POSITION OF / ALUM-BAGH / CAPTURE OF LUC / KNOW BAREILLY

Signatures : On W .side of cross at base of shaft (incised letters): R. ANDERSON / ARCHITECT

On E. side of cross at base of shaft (incised roman numerals): A.D. MDCCCLXI

On S. side of cross at base, W. end (incised letters): S BUNTER CARVER

On S. side of cross at base, E. end (incised letters): D SUNDERLAND & SONS BUILDERS

Design period : 1861-1862

Year of unveiling : 1862

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0477)

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions