Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Middle Pier, Warehouse

Warehouse (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Middle Pier, Warehouse

Classification Warehouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gunpowder Store

Canmore ID 236719

Site Number NT27NW 28.09

NGR NT 23808 77489

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/236719

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27NW 28.09 23808 77489

The building is situated toward the end section of the middle pier on its E side. The building incorporates a central two storey loading bay with cast iron hoist with lions head mask at its apex. The N and S elevations incorporate loading bays with flanking windows and a blocked doorway with later insert. A large opening with a steel lintel has been inserted on the W side in place of windows. The warehouse sits on a stepped bulwark that incorporates a sea door for direct entry by boat.

Information adapted from CFA (M Cressey) December 2003.

The warehouse is constructed of regular stugged ashlar stonework laid in horizontal courses with segmental arched window and door openings on all elevations. The roof is rectangular in plan, shallow pitched and piended, covered with thin, west highland slates laid in diminishing courses. The internal roof structure is formed from a series of king post trusses and purlins with a number of later accretions evident. Internally at ground floor level there are remains of railway tracks indicating that goods were loaded and unloaded from wagons. The building is thought to have been a gunpowder store due to its substantial wall thickness, although no written evidence of this appears to exist.

Information from RCAHMS (RJM and EAL), January 2008.

Site Management (19 January 2009)

2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan warehouse. Symmetrical classical design. Stugged sandstone ashlar droved at arrises. Angle quoins; eaves cornice; segmental-arched openings; chamfered reveals to loading bays. Piended grey slate roof. 25-pane fixed timber fixed and various casements intact; others missing or broken; cast-iron grilles to ground floor windows.

One of four matching and symmetrically located buildings in existence on the pier at its opening in 1842. It appears to have been originally a single storey building, with the 2nd storey being added at an early date. Already by 1845 the pier is described as having eleven warehouses (New Statistical Account) and it is likely that this building took its present form at around this time. (Historic Scotland)

Internally at ground floor level there are remains of railway tracks indicating that goods were loaded and unloaded from wagons. The building is thought to have been a gunpowder store due to its substantial wall thickness, although no written evidence of this appears to exist. (RCAHMS)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions