Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caledonian Canal, Corpach Engine House

Engine House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Caledonian Canal, Corpach Engine House

Classification Engine House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 23592

Site Number NN07NE 9.01

NGR NN 09594 76595

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23592

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN07NE 9.01 09594 76595

Caledonian Canal opened 1822.

Corpach engine-house built during the construction of the sea-lock and later converted into accommodation for the lock-keepers and into store-rooms, was demolished in 1968.

Corpach light-house, built 1913.

ARCHITECT: John Simpson

(Undated) information in NMRS.

The engine house is clearly marked on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet vi) and on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet cl), but is no longer shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975) or on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND). Other buildings are shown on the 2nd edition map adjacent to the engine-house. These may well have been associated with the canal, perhaps dwellings for officals, including lock-keeper.

There appears to have been a boundary change in this area, as the feature appears on an Argyllshire sheet in the 1st edition, but on an Inverness-shire sheet subsequently.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 23 August 2001.

The location assigned to this record remains unverified. The current OS (GIS) AIB indicates no building or structure at the location cited.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 May 2006.

No evidence for the building could be found at the outer pier on the date of visit.

The building is depicted on the 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 25-inch scale maps (Invernesshire).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, GL), 19 April 2007

Activities

Field Visit (16 October 2013 - 16 October 2013)

Corpach Engine House.NN07NE 9.01 NN 09615 76583

This building is marked on the First Edition OS map as being to the south of the sea lock and on the shore line but it no longer exists. Much of it has been destroyed by the sea and the north part has been replaced by a grassy “leisure” area with a substantially made stone retaining wall on the shore line. At the NE end of this wall there is an original ramp (?slipway) 4m in width which descends to the shore and a flight of small stone steps in the retaining wall which are original provides access to it. At the west end of the retaining wall there is a further, modern, flight of steps at GR NN 09586 76589

Visited by the Scottish Canals Recording Project (MM), 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions