Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Mound Place, New College Quadrangle, Statue Of John Knox

Statue (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Mound Place, New College Quadrangle, Statue Of John Knox

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 235803

Site Number NT27SE 4725

NGR NT 25465 73601

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/235803

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 4725 25465 73601

NT27SE 172 25459 73579 New College and Assembly Hall

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (22 August 2002)

Statue of John Knox, wearing gown and hat, standing preaching; a Bible in his left hand, his right arm gesturing towards heaven. It stands on a red sandstone octagonal pedestal set about two feet from the college wall. Knox is shown with a long beard.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : On front of pedestal (incised letters): JOHN KNOX / 1514-1572 / ERECTED BY SCOTSMEN WHO ARE / MINDFUL OF THE BENEFITS CONFERRED / BY JOHN KNOX ON THEIR NATIVE LAND / 1896

Signatures : Incised on left side of statues base: J. HUTCHISON R S A / EDINBURGH SCULPT

Design period : 1896

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0878)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions