Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Callart House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Callart House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Callert House

Canmore ID 23565

Site Number NN06SE 1

NGR NN 0924 6038

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23565

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NNO6SE 1 0924 6038.

(NN 09 60) Near to the late 18th century Callart House are a heap of moss-clad stones, the sole remains of an earlier Callart House burned in the early 17th century to rid it of the plague.

D B MacCulloch 1938.

This house was situated at NN 092 603, on the opposite side of the stream to the present Callart House (Information from G Macdonald Esq., Callert). All that remains is a low platform completely covered with a large quantity of stones cleared from the fields nearby.

Callert or Callart appears variously as Callort (Information contained in letter dated 1835 penes C Macpherson, Onich). Calart (Information from W Johnson's Plan of the Lordship of Lochaber, 1831); the earliest map reference gives it as Calort (W Roy 1747-55).

Visited by OS (C F W) 15 July 1961.

The site of Callart House, at NN 0924 6038, is as described by Macdonald (Information contained in letter dated 1835 penes C Macpherson, Onich).

Visited by OS (R L) 15 May 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions