Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tomintoul, Conglass Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tomintoul, Conglass Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Conglass Water

Canmore ID 235428

Site Number NJ11NE 93

NGR NJ 17577 19096

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/235428

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Moray)
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

In 1794, the Duke of Gordon had a road built from Glenrinnes to Tomintoul, allowing carriages and other wheeled vehicles to travel the length of his estate. Bridges were built at several points along the route, including this one which spans the Conglass Water near Tomintoul.

Badly damaged in the severe floods which swept the district in 1829, the bridge was rebuilt using some of the original fabric. It has a single span, and has ornamental columns or pilasters built into the masonry at each end. The pilasters are topped with cushion-shaped capstones, a characteristic feature of the bridges built by the Gordon estate at this period.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions