Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tigh Nan Saighdearan

Barracks (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tigh Nan Saighdearan

Classification Barracks (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Arkaig; The Soldiers' House; Old Barracks

Canmore ID 23341

Site Number NM99SE 1

NGR NM 9817 9142

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23341

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NM99SE 1 9817 9142.

(NM 9817 9142) Tigh nan Saighdearan (Old Barracks) (NAT).

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1902)

Tigh nan Saighdearan (The Soldiers' House) ruins of old barracks built by the Government at the time of the Jacobite Rebellion, 1745 (Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] 1872). Although not easily recognised, remains of the 'firmly built walls' are still standing (Gordon 1935).

Name Book 1872; S Gordon 1935.

Tigh nan Saighdearan, built into the shoulder of a hill, is a simple rectangular building measuring 8.9m N-S by 4.1m E-W, within a rubble wall bonded with shell mortar, 0.7m thick. The N gable, where there is a rectangular window aperture, survives to a maximum height of 2.2m, but else- where it is reduced to its base courses. The remains of a fireplace are visible in the S gable.

Visited by OS (NKB) 11 May 1970.

A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cix) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 6 September 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions