Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Easdale, The Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Practice Battery (19-20th Century), Public Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Easdale, The Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Practice Battery (19-20th Century), Public Hall (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 232997

Site Number NM71NW 17

NGR NM 73953 17055

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/232997

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilbrandon And Kilchattan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (18 September 2013)

A drill hall on Easdale Island is marked on the 2nd epoch 1:2500 map (surveyed 1898). It is a square, slate rubble structure with a high pyramidal roof, whose central post was a mast recovered from a wrecked ship. It is not clear which unit was using the hall in 1914, and which was using the other drill hall nearby: Osborne (2006) records the presence of "H" Squadron, 2nd Scottish Horse and "H" Company, 8th battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in the area.

The building survives but was completely refurbished in 2004.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 18 September 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions