Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mein Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mein Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Mein Water Bridge; Old Pennersaughs; Ecclefechan

Canmore ID 232341

Site Number NY27SW 57

NGR NY 20144 74271

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Middlebie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY27SW 57 20144 74271

Mein Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1975.

This bridge carries the former line of the A74 (now an unclassified public road) over the Mein Water to the W of Old Pennersaughs cottage (NY27SW 98). It is apparently overshadowed by the replacement viaduct, adjacent to the N.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 March 2006.


Publication Account (2007)

A single-span masonry arch bridge of 5112 ft over the Mein Water built, according to an inscribed stone in the parapet, by ‘Parks Masons Thomas Telford Engineer 1826’, a local firm, for a little over £100 it is said. The width inside the parapets is about 18 ft. This is a fine example of an original bridge. It is in the typical form of the Highland bridges with tapering pilasters adjoining the springings and curved wing walls, but is generally of better quality being in coursed squared stone with a well executed arch ring 27 in. at the crown and 30 in. at the springings. The bridge was bypassed by the M74 but is still used for local access.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions