Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peathill Wood, Newlands, Civil Starfish Ql

Bomb Crater(S) (Second World War), Bunker (20th Century), Decoy Site (20th Century)

Site Name Peathill Wood, Newlands, Civil Starfish Ql

Classification Bomb Crater(S) (Second World War), Bunker (20th Century), Decoy Site (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clyde Aa Defences; Craigmaddie Muir; Lennoxtown; Newlands, Civil Starfish

Canmore ID 232041

Site Number NS67NW 70

NGR NS 6050 7614

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/232041

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Campsie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67NW 70 6050 7614

For Starfish decoy site, see NS57NE 84.

The control bunker for a Starfish decoy site (NS57NE 84) is visible at this location on RAF air photographs taken in 1945 (106G/UK989: 4246 and 4247) and All Scotland Survey air photographs taken in 1988 (51588: 077 and 078). The bunker is located 1km E of the decoy site.

Information from RCAHMS (KM) 27 December 2002.

Examination of further vertical air photographs from the above sortie (106G/UK 989, 3131-3132, flown 9 November 1945), show that in the surrounding area at least four bomb craters are visible.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2005

Activities

Field Visit (5 December 2017)

A control shelter (NS57NE 84) is all that has been observed of this World War Two Civil Starfish Decoy, which is visible on RAF air photographs (106G/ UK 989: 3131-3132, 4246-4247) flown on 9 November 1945. The site is one of 18 decoys that were constructed as part of the military infrastructure designed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack.

The control shelter (NS 60500 76150) is situated in poorly drained ground at the foot of a wooded scarp. It measures 8.9m from N to S by 4.25m transversely over brick walls 0.35m thick and 1.8m high, within a thorn- and grass-grown earthen blast wall up to 2.8m thick and 2m high. The flat, reinforced concrete roof retains a turf capping, while a centrally placed escape hatch is located at its S edge. There is no trace of a baffle shielding the centrally placed entrance on the E, which leads into the heavily silted corridor. Opposed entrances at its W end provide access to two square compartments that are flooded. The control room on the S retains few fittings, but 5 surviving steel rungs attached to the S wall permit egress from the escape hatch. The water level in the generator room on the opposite side of the corridor obscures the plinths, but a large, well-preserved circular aperture high in the N wall emitted the exhausts from the engines that once occupied this space.

The Peathill Wood (NS 599 760) decoy is said to have been situated in what is now waste ground about 575m E of the control shelter (Dobinson 2000, 280), but no traces were observed on the date of visit. This shelter is not associated with the remains on Blairskaith Muir (NS57NE 84), as is intimated in an earlier record. These were linked to the control shelter on Craigmaddie Muir (NS57NE 54).

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, GFG, JRS) 5 December 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions