Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rousay, 'lower Quandale'

Burnt Mound (Prehistoric)

Site Name Rousay, 'lower Quandale'

Classification Burnt Mound (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Quendal

Canmore ID 2318

Site Number HY33SE 7

NGR HY 3682 3191

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/2318

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Rousay And Egilsay
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY33SE 7 3682 3191.

(HY 3682 3191) Burnt Mound (NR)

OS 1:10,000 1977.

A burnt mound

RCAHMS 1946. Visited 1928.

A burnt mound, approximately 15.0 m in diameter and 1.0 m high. The centre has been excavated from the SW revealing part of a rectangular structure measuring 2.5 m NW-SE by at least 3.6 m and 0.8 m deep with walls of slabs on edge combined with dry stone work. It is open to the SW and seems to have been longer. At the NE end of the NW wall is a lintelled aumbry or recess measuring internally 0.6 by 0.5 m.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS(AA) 11 October 1972.

An impressive burnt mound some 15 m in diameter and 1 m high. Excavations by Walter Grant, which were never finished and remain unpublished, revealed a chamber constructed of upright slabs and drystone walling measuring 3.4 by 2.6 m, with a rectangular raised fire- place on the NE wall measuring 1.2 by 0.75 m. There is a roofed rectangular cell to the NW (0.85 by 0.7 by 0.85 m high). Excavation also revealed the remains of a passage on the SSW side of the chamber which led to the edge of the mound. The central structure was flooded on the date of visit. It is possible that the fragments of a pottery vessel now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS, Accession no: HD 841) 'from the floor of a square paved structure built on a burnt mound at Westness', (Information from D Wilson, Porfolio of plans, copies in NMRS), excavated by Grant in 1938, are from this site.

RCAHMS 1982.

Activities

Field Visit (11 October 1972)

A burnt mound, approximately 15.0 m in diameter and 1.0 m high. The centre has been excavated from the SW revealing part of a rectangular structure measuring 2.5 m NW-SE by at least 3.6 m and 0.8 m deep with walls of slabs on edge combined with dry stone work. It is open to the SW and seems to have been longer. At the NE end of the NW wall is a lintelled aumbry or recess measuring internally 0.6 by 0.5 m.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS(AA) 11 October 1972.

Field Visit (September 1979)

As described, including aumbry. Many burnt stones visible

in rabbit scrapes. The central structure is flooded; has it been

modified in recent years to serve as a well or sheep dip?

Information from Orkney SMR (RGL) Sept 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions