Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, 2, 4, 6, 8 Market Square, Burt's Hotel

Hotel (18th Century)

Site Name Melrose, 2, 4, 6, 8 Market Square, Burt's Hotel

Classification Hotel (18th Century)

Canmore ID 231280

Site Number NT53SW 173

NGR NT 54702 33978

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/231280

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Architecture Notes

NT53SW 173 54702 33978

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

Burt's Hotel, which stands in The Square figure 23.b, played an important part in town life from its first building, in 1722. It was to hostelries such as this that those attending the town's market would resort. By the nineteenth century, it was known as 'Anderson's Temperance Hotel' and catered also for the increasing number of visitors that came to Melrose. The western end of the present hotel now incorporates a onetime baker's shop, built in the mid eighteenth century. Although much altered, particularly on the ground floor, this two-storeyed building with attic retains much of the original character of an important hostelry in a prime site at the market centre.

Information from ‘Historic Melrose: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions