Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochnell House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lochnell House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lochnell Castle

Canmore ID 22997

Site Number NM83NE 2

NGR NM 88591 38978

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22997

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Ardchattan And Muckairn (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM83NE 2.00 88591 38978Lochnell House

NM83NE 2.01 88731 38984 Steading

NM83NE 2.02 88795 39050 Barn

(NM 8860 3895) Lochnell House (NAT)

OS 1/10,000 map, (1977)

Architecture Notes

NMRS NOTES

Lochnell House.

Lochnell House (RCAHMS 1975) Lochnell Castle (Millar and Kirkhope 1964) incorporates work of four main periods ranging in date from about the end of the 17th century to about the end of the 19th century. The late 17th century house is now represented only by a service- wing, which forms the SW range of the present building, but a main block of contemporary, or of earlier, date must formerly have occupied the NE portion of the site. In about 1737-9 the house was altered and enlarged by the erection of a new dwelling-house to the SE of this earlier main block. Between about 1818 and 1820 the house was again remodelled, the early NE main block being removed and its site utilised for the erection of a substantial mansion in the castellated style, to which the SW service-wing and the early Georgian dwelling-house formed flanking appendages. At the same time a court of offices, also in the castellated style, was constructed on the NW side of the house, and the SW service wing was extended in length. In 1853 the greater part of the house was gutted by fire, and the building appears to have remained unoccupied until towards the end of the century, when the early Georgian dwelling-house and the SW service-wing were restored. Of the late Georgian mansion, however, only the NE portion was reoccupied, the remainder being patched up and allowed to remain as a roofless shell. There is an 18th- or early 19th century ice-house about 50m to the S of the house.

H B Millar and J Kirkhope 1964; RCAHMS 1975, visited 1968.

As described above. Known locally as 'Lochnell Castle' and of no particular architectural importance.

Visited by OS (W D J) 11 November 1969.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish Record Office:

Rebuilding of the Mansionhouse.

Sir Duncan Campbell has decided to 'pull down and remove some of the superfluous parts of the old house and put it in another order'. John Johnston writes that the work requires his close attention and so he is unable to comply with Sir John's request.

1738 GD 18/5009

Activities

Photographic Survey (27 February 2012)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to planned resoration of the semi-derelict towers and wider photography by the Listed Buildings Area Survey as part of the Argyll upgrade programme.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions