Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Laudale Estate, Achleek House

Tacksmans House (18th Century)

Site Name Laudale Estate, Achleek House

Classification Tacksmans House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Laudale House

Canmore ID 228951

Site Number NM76SE 26

NGR NM 79315 60012

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/228951

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Morvern
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Architecture Notes

NM76SE 26 79315 60012

NM 7940 6010

Achleek House was built by Allan MacDougall in around 1807. It is harled white and has a slated roof, and is three bays wide and two storeys high. A central doorway is reached by four modern concrete steps. The upper windows are square and smaller than the lower windows. The slightly overhanging eaves and exposed roof timbers highlight the start of a change in house design during the early 19th century. The wall built onto the west side of the house suggests the original presence of a small single storey pavilion or an enclosed yard.

D Maudlin 2003

For Laudale House and associated sites, see NM75NW 5.00.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions