Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Melfort, Gunpowder Works

Gunpowder Works (19th Century)

Site Name Melfort, Gunpowder Works

Classification Gunpowder Works (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Melford Powder Works

Canmore ID 22874

Site Number NM81SW 11

NGR NM 839 143

NGR Description Centred NM 839 143

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22874

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninver And Kilmelford
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM81SW 11 centred 839 143

(Location cited as NM 8312 8414 and placed in Kilbrandon and Kilchattan parish). Gunpowder works, Melfort. Founded 1838 by Harrison, Ainslie and Co. Fragmentary remains of the productive buildings with two storage sheds, a cooperage, the roofless suspense magazine, and the main magazine.

J R Hume 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions