Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Torran

Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Torran

Classification Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 22796

Site Number NM80SE 37

NGR NM 87901 04877

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22796

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmartin
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM80SE 37 87901 04877.

(NM 8788 0488) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map, Argylleshire, 2nd ed., (1900).

This standing stone measures 11' by 4' by 2' 8", oriented N-S.Its E face bears an incised equal-armed cross with a small cup within its right arm, Campbell could discern a similar cross on its W face, which she states is best seen in late evening light.

M Campbell and M Sandeman 1963; J R Allen 1880.

This massive standing stone is situated 50m E of Torran and measures about 3.3m in height and 1.2m by 0.55m at the base (Campbell and Sandeman 1964; Morris 1981). Aligned NE and SW, it rises with straight sides to a pointed top. There are pecked crosses on both faces, that on the SE being less well defined than that on the NW; the latter contains a cup-like depression 50mm in diameter and 20mm deep within the right arm of the cross.

Visited May 1983

Activities

Field Visit (11 October 1971)

Generally as described. There are slight indications of a possible cross on the E face, but the described cross is on the W face, not the E. Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 11 October 1971.

Field Visit (1983)

Visited May 1983

Field Visit (May 1987)

This standing stone, which is probably of prehistoric origin, is situated at the side of an old track 50m E of Torran farmhouse. It measures 3.3m in height and 1.2m by 0.55m at the base. In the lower part of the NW face (a) there is a pecked and grooved outline cross. The broad wedge-shaped lower arm and the right arm, which extends to the edge of the stone, are open-ended. The left and upper arms are incomplete because of flaking, but the height of the cross was probably about 0.85m. There is a cup-like depression 50mm in diameter within the right arm of the cross. At about the same height on the SE face (b) there are two pairs of horizontal grooves, 0.15m apart, which are probably the remains of a similar cross. (Inventory of Argyll, 6, No.230, fig.143A; PSAS, 14 (1879-80), 346-7; ECMS, 3, 403, fig.422; Campbell& Sandeman, 29, no.193; 35, no. 254; 75, no. 478).

RCAHMS 1992, visited May 1987

Reference (2001)

A massive standing-stone, 50m E of Torran farmhouse, measures 3.3m by 1.2m by 0.55m. On the NW face (a) is a much-flaked outline cross with open-ended arms, probably about 0.85m in original height. On the SE face (b) are two pairs of horizontal grooves, probably from a similar cross.

I Fisher 2001, 151.

Field Visit (2003)

NM 87901 04876 Site included in a field survey carried out by GUARD in 2003.

Heather F James, 2003 (RCAHMS MS 2371, no.52)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions