Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Craiglockhart Drive South, Redhall House, Stables

Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Craiglockhart Drive South, Redhall House, Stables

Classification Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 227094

Site Number NT27SW 1794.01

NGR NT 21876 70076

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/227094

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Watching Brief (12 August 2012)

A three trench evaluation within the immediate vicinty of upstanding post-medieval ruins. The evaluation found two floor surfaces of probable late post-medieval date (18-19th centuries). These two surfaces are probably contemporary and relate to the surrounding ruined buildings. The evaluation uncovered no evidence for any earlier archaeological activity.

CFA ARchaeology 2012 (J. Lewis) OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-132179

Note (8 June 2012)

Redhall Stables formerly listed at category C (non-stat), removed from statutory list in July 2007.

Standing Building Recording (May 2012 - October 2012)

NT 21876 70076 A programme of archaeological works was carried out, May – October 2012, prior to the demolition of the former Redhall House stables, carriage house, barn and ancillary building, including Level 2 and 4 historic building survey, a trial trenching evaluation and a watching brief.

The stable and carriage house (Building 1) was constructed in 1774 as part of the Redhall House Estate. The buildings occupy a C-shaped plan with both a two-storey N and S wing and a central block. The S wing was the main stables and the central block was the carriage house. The E-facing elevation of the S wing incorporates a neo-classical façade with round-headed central window flanked by pilasters. The cornice is surmounted by an open pediment that once held a plaque of a horse. The carriage house doorway is on the same elevation between the two wings. The slate roof was removed during the late 20th century and its walls were reduced to first floor level.

Building 2 was constructed during the late 19th century and is a small stone-built animal house with hatch and slit vents. It was later converted into a wash house.

Building 3 is a large rectangular stone-built barn that was lofted. Built in the late 18th or early 19th century, it has skewed gables and has ornate slit vents on its E-facing and S-facing gable. The vents are embellished with carved tri-foil and stars. A chimney occupies the NE corner of the NE-facing gable, and it is postulated that this may be associated with a blacksmiths' forge.

Building 4 is represented by upstanding 1.5m high walls. The building was extant in the mid-19th century and demolished sometime during the 20th century.

A targeted evaluation consisting of three trenches and covering 50m2 was carried out around the buildings. Archaeological deposits were recorded in only one trench; these consisted of a post-medieval metalled and flagstone floor.

A demolition watching brief on the interiors of Building 2 and 3 confirmed that Building 2 had a concrete floor resting directly on natural clay. Building 3 had a flagstone floor overlying an earlier sandstone and lime mortar floor. The foundations of the wall comprised undressed sandstone boulders.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Miller Homes (East) Ltd

Mike Cressey and James Lewis, CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2013

(Source: DES)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions