Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lauder, Lauder Station, Ministry Of Defence Food Depot

Warehouse(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Lauder, Lauder Station, Ministry Of Defence Food Depot

Classification Warehouse(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Buffer Depot; Poultry Houses

Canmore ID 225887

Site Number NT54NW 184

NGR NT 5217 4816

NGR Description NT 5217 4816 and NT 5224 4811

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/225887

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lauder
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT54NW 184 5217 4816 and 5224 4811

Two large warehouses are situated about 100m NW of the site of Lauder railway station *(NT54NW 143). Now in use for agricultural purposes, they were constructed as foodstores by the Ministry of Defence during 1939-40. Intended as a food warehouse and distribution depot with a total capacity of 6,000 tons. Located in Lauder they were built away from areas that were threatened by aerial bombing. The main storage was for flour which was brought in by rail and then distributed by road.

The warehouse are visible on a wartime oblique aerial photograph (No.1 CAM, AF 650, flown 7 May 1942) along with several ancillary buildings. The depot closed in the late 1950s and since that date they have been used for agricultural purposes, notably as 'poultry houses' (OS 1:10560 scale map (1968).

A M Hadjucki and A Simpson 1996 and information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2002.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions