Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochbuie, Mull

Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Lochbuie, Mull

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Buie; Lochbuie House

Canmore ID 22385

Site Number NM62NW 1

NGR NM 61780 25117

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22385

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Torosay
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM62NW 1 61780 25117

See also NM62NW 2-5.

(NM 6178 2511) Stone Circle (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1976)

Stone Circle, Lochbuie. This stone circle, 300m NNE of Lochbuie, has originally consisted of nine stones, but one of these is now missing and its position has been marked in recent times by a small boulder (D on plan). The circle is 12.3m in diameter and is composed for the most part of granite slabs, which have been positioned with their flatter faces towards the inside of the circle. The tallest stone (A) measures 2m in height and 0.85m by 0.3m at the base. (The dimensions of the other stones are given with the plan).

An outlying stone (J), 4.6m SE of the circle, is a pointed granite block measuring 0.85m in height and 0.6m by 0.3m at the base.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972

A stone circle with an outlier, as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 17 May 1972.

Scheduled (with NM62NW 2 and NM62NW 5 ) as Lochbuie House, stone circle and standing stones.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 4 February 2003.

Activities

Field Visit (23 July 1942)

Stone Circle in flat meadow behind Lochbuy House.

It consists of 9 stones standing almost exactly on a true circle of diameter 42’. All the stones are flat slabsd with theire faces tangential to the circle save for No. 4 which is a round boulder 2’ x 2’ x 2’. The tallest stone (No. 7) is on the W, 6’ h 3’ broad but only 3/4 “ thick. At the top it slopes back from S to N. No.8, 4 1/3 ‘ x 3 ½ ‘ x 1 1/3 ‘; No.9, on S, 5 1/2 ‘ high x 2 2/3’ x 1’. No.1 pointed (on SE), 5’ h x 2’ x 1’. No.2 (E), 4 3/4’ x 3’ x 1 ½’. No.3, 4 ¼’ x 2 1/3’ x 1’. No. 5, on N, 5’h x 2’ x 1’. No.6, 3 ½’ x 3’ x ¾’. TO the SSE is an outlier only 2 ½’ h with its axis (2’ long) pointing towards the circle; it is 1 ¼’ wide. To WNW stand two outliers, again with long axis pointed towards the circle but not on a line from the circle or even from outlier No. 10. Thee nearer, No. 12, distant about 130’, is 3’0” wide, 1’6” to 1’0” thick and about 10’ h. No.11 is 6 3/4 ‘ h, 2’8” long and 2’8” to 2 1/4 ‘ thick. The area within is more or less level and not noticeably stony.

Visited by RCAHMS (VG Childe) 23 July 1942.

Notebook MS 401/2

Manuscript 1942, 15 and 17 (sketch plan)

Typescript 21

Publication Account (1985)

This is one of the rare stone circles in the west of Scotland and one of the earliest monuments at the head of Loch Buie; its location underlines the attraction of the bay to early man as well as to the builders of the medieval castle and the later mansion house. The circle was originally of nine stones, but one has since been destroyed and has been replaced by an erratic boulder. The stones are up to 1.75m in height and are associated with three outlying monoliths, one of which is 3m in height.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Argyll and the Western Isles’, (1985).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions