Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kintrockat House And Walled Garden

House (18th Century), Walled Garden (18th Century)

Site Name Kintrockat House And Walled Garden

Classification House (18th Century), Walled Garden (18th Century)

Canmore ID 223125

Site Number NO55NE 54

NGR NO 56841 59131

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/223125

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Brechin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (12 July 2011)

Late C18 or early C19 courtyard house with stables forming the north wing. Attached timber clad building to east was originally a squash court, now used as an artists studio.

Site Management (20 February 2013)

Quadrangular plan. Main house centre of S. frontage, 2-storey basement and attic, 3-window elevation with centre pediment; corbelled cornice: 2-storey symmetrical wings set back: (c.1791); harled, windows framed in

margins and string courses flush with harl. N. frontage ashlar, symmetrical with 2-storey centre and ends, single-storey links. Early 19th cent. (Historic Scotland)

John Gifford notes the main house dates from 1721, set back are single storey wings to either side probably of later 18th century date joined at their North end by a linking ashlar frontage former stable block of circa 1800.

Activities

Photographic Survey (2 March 2011)

Photographed for the Listed Buildings Area Survey

Standing Building Recording (29 January 2016)

NO 56841 59131 A Level 2 standing building survey was carried out on 29 January 2016 prior to renovations of the listed building. At least five phases of development were identified but these buildings have had several major and many minor changes since the 18th century. In the 18th

century a two-storey house with attic and basement was constructed with parkland and views to the S. Two wings were added using the same decorative sandstone features, including raised sandstone string courses with large windows utilising the string course for lintels and sills, harled between the sandstone quoins and jambs. The W and E wings were

extended and a N wing added with stables, bothy and other agricultural buildings, possibly in the late 18th or early 19th century. The wings were joined to the Phase 1 house and apertures opened and a corridor added running the full length of the N side of the Phase 1 house. The 1st Edition OS

map shows corridors on the W and N side of the courtyard but these have since been demolished. There are several small additions within the courtyard, porch on the W façade and squash court added on the E façade in the 20th century by Brigadier Knox and his wife Elizabeth.

Archive: NRHE

Funder: Mr and Mrs M Baybut

Information from Alison Cameron (Cameron Archaeology) 10 February 2016

OASIS ID - camerona1-244454

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions