Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Salen, Salen Free Church

Cist(S) (Period Unassigned), Beaker, Blade (Bronze), Unidentified Flint(S) (Flint)

Site Name Mull, Salen, Salen Free Church

Classification Cist(S) (Period Unassigned), Beaker, Blade (Bronze), Unidentified Flint(S) (Flint)

Alternative Name(s) House

Canmore ID 22289

Site Number NM54SE 8

NGR NM 5705 4315

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22289

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM54SE 8 5705 4315.

Several short cists were found in 1882, during the excavation of the foundations of what was formerly the Free Church at Salen. One of them contained an all-over corded beaker, two fragments of a copper blade, a flint knife, and a flint scraper. Sherds of the beaker and the other objects are preserved in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) (Accession nos: EQ 269-272).

J Duns 1883; D L Clarke 1970; J N G Ritchie 1973; RCAHMS 1980.

NM 5705 4315. The Free Church at Salen is now a private house occupied by Miss Turner, who said that about 1950 when workmen were making a drive some 20m to the W of the church a 'coffin' was found but was quickly covered up again. Mr Macdonald (Salen) has found several worked flints in the same area.

Visited by OS (D W R) 3 May 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions