Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Gruline, Macquarie's Mausoleum

Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mull, Gruline, Macquarie's Mausoleum

Classification Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Macquarrie's Mausolem; Old Gruline House

Canmore ID 22250

Site Number NM53NW 8

NGR NM 54941 39836

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22250

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Torosay
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

(NM 5494 3983) MacQuarie's Mausoleum, Gruline: This mausoleum, which stands about 0.6 km NW of Old Gruline House, is a plain gable-ended structure of sandstone ashlar having buttressed side-walls and a stone-slabbed roof. Two marble panels seal the entrance-doorways in the gable-walls, the one at the N end bearing a contemporary inscription which commemorates Major-General Lachlan MacQuarie of Jarvisfield, who died in 1824, and his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Campbell of Airds, who died in 1835. The panel at the S end, which has recently been restored, contains an inscription recording MacQuarie's achievements as Governor of New South Wales.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions