Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bannockburn, New Road, Bridge

Road Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Bannockburn, New Road, Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bannock Burn; New Road Bridge

Canmore ID 222053

Site Number NS89SW 104

NGR NS 80944 90470

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/222053

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish St Ninians
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SW 104 80944 90470

Not to be confused with (predecessor) Bannockburn, Old Town, Old Bridge (NS 80761 90446), for which see NS89SW 15.

Architect: Thomas Telford, 1819.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Building of the New Bridge

Thomas McMicking mentions that in 1819 while he was Factor at Polmaise he was given the post of Superintendent of the building of the Bridge.

Letter from Thomas McMicking to John Murray.

1839 GD 189/2/834

(Undated) information in NMRS.

This bridge carries the A9(T) public road over the Bannock Burn within the area of Bannockburn village (NS89SW 32). It is depicted, but not noted, on the 1979 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 June 2006.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Bannockburn Bridge, which carries the A9 road 40 ft over the Bannock Burn about two miles south-east of Stirling, has a span of 24 ft and is of unusual character. According to Southey it was designed by Telford, whose solution for preventing inward earth-pressure movement of the tall abutments by means of curved masonry struts is almost playful, but nevertheless effective. The iron beam above the top arch formed part of a later roadway widening to its present 38 ft between parapets.

The bridge was being built when it was visited by Telford and Southey in 1819. Southey wrote, ‘Thro’ Falkirk we passed under [the Forth & Clyde Canal at Camelon] by an arch so dangerously low that it might easily prove fatal to a traveller on the outside of a stage coach. A new road is making near Stirling [at Bannockburn] with a bridge which is one of Mr Telford’s works and has a huge circle over the single arch . . . the appearance is singular and striking.’

The Camelon underpass referred to by Southey and shown on Smeaton’s drawing as 16 ft wide by 11 ft high

with 2 ft arch rise was briefly revealed during a lock extension for the Millennium Link Canal Regeneration

(see Paxton and Shipway, 2007, 324). It served for at least four decades before being replaced, first by a bascule bridge and later by a swing bridge.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions