Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Strathmiglo, West Mill

Grain Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Strathmiglo, West Mill

Classification Grain Mill (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 221879

Site Number NO21SW 262

NGR NO 21083 10046

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/221879

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Strathmiglo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NO21SW 262.00 21083 10046

NO21SW 262.01 21103 10056 West Mill House

An early 19th-century water-powered grain mill, with adjacent miller's 2-storeyed house. A door lintel on the NW side of the mill refers to John A Fraser as the tenant miller in 1824, and to his son Robert being miller in 1875. All buildings in the complex are built from mostly random or roughly squared pink sandstone rubble, and are roofed with red pantiles.

The mill range is divided into three distinct parts, the S portion of which appears to have been a store. The central 3-storeyed block contains the mill itself, is built on an 'L' plan, and incorporates a water-wheel house containing an undershot water wheel (steel-framed, six steel arms, and 30 wooden buckets). The water wheel, and associated gear cupboard had recently undergone restoration at the time of survey (2001), as had the pair of millstones on the first floor. The N portion of the mill range houses the remains of a detached kiln and cart bay with space for storage above. The kiln retains a small roof ventilator, and is unusual not only because it is detached from the main mill, but also because access to its firebox is external through a low arch in the NW side of the kiln.

The mill is supplied with water by a lade 1,500 metres long. Water is delivered to the water wheel by a steel flume with a trap-door bypass, but a main bypass system is controlled by a sluice immediately to the NW of the mill, which diverts water into channel running to the W side of the mill.

The mill has been restored to working order since being purchased in 1988.

Information from RCAHMS

(MKO) 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions