Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greadal Fhinn, Ardnamurchan

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Greadal Fhinn, Ardnamurchan

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 22128

Site Number NM46SE 1

NGR NM 4765 6397

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22128

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardnamurchan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM46SE 1 4765 6397.

(NM 4765 6397) Greadal Fhinn (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

Chambered Cairn, Greadal Fhinn: This cairn occupies the summit of a broad knoll situated about 300m NW of Ormsaigmore. Nearly circular on RCAHMS plan, it measures 22.6m by 21.3m, but it has been extensively robbed of its stone and stands at nost to a height of 0.6m. Close to the S edge there is a slab, measuring 1.5m by 0.9m and leaning slightly outwards, which may have been an original kerb-stone. Local tradition states that there were once several upright stones at the edge of the cairn, and in 1909 Grieve thought he could trace 13 hollows where they had stood.

There are two burial-chambers, the more central being a simple cist-like construction, while that on the SE side is a passage-grave.

Seven upright stones and one of the capstones of the passage-grave survive, and the stumps of two other stones are still visible. Aligned ESE and WNW and entered through a short passage measuring 1.4m by 0.9m, the chamber is composed of five substantial slabs still standing to a height of 1.55m. The chamber measures 3.2m by 1.9m internally and is divided from the N side of the passage by a transverse slab; a similar slab on the S side may have been destroyed. A dislodged capstone blocks the passage at this point.

The smaller chamber, rectangular on plan and measuring 1m by 0.75m, is composed of four upright slabs covered by a capstone. A narrow opening at the SE corner of the chamber may be the original entrance, as this is flanked by two stones which just protrude through the turf.

This chambered cairn was in a similar condition when seen in 1962 and 1970.

Surveyed at 1:2500

Visited by OS {N K B} 5 June 1970.

Sources: Grieve 1911; A S Henshall 1972, visited 1962; RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions