Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Dervaig, Kilmore Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mull, Dervaig, Kilmore Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 22095

Site Number NM45SW 11

NGR NM 4363 5176

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22095

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM45SW 11.00 4363 5176

NM45SW 11.01 NM 436 517 Cross-Fragments

(Name: NM 4355 5173) Chapel (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1900)

A church or chapel dedicated to the Virgin stood at Kilmore.

Orig Paroch Scot 1854

There are numerous small burial enclosures in Kilmore graveyard but the remains of the church could not be identified.

The enclosure, indicated on the OS map at NM 4363 5176 as the ruins of a chapel, contains no evidence of early structure in the walls, but it does occupy part of a limited summit of a knoll around which the burial ground lies, and it is only hereabouts that the probable predecessor of the 1754 church (at NM 4307 5179) could have stood.

Visited by OS (RD) 27 April 1972

(NM 4363 5176) Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 1:10000 map (1976)

Old Parish Church of Kilcolmkill (Kilmore), Dervaig: The fragmentary remains of this church lie within a burial ground at Kilmore, about 0.6km SE of Dervaig. The only portions that can now be identified are the turf-covered footings of what appear to be parts of the E and S walls of a small rectangular building. These fragments, which stand to a maximum height of 1m, occupy the highest ground within the churchyard. The church of St Columba of Mull, or Kilcolmkill in Quinish, was one of seven medieval parish churches on the island, being annexed to the abbey of Iona early in the 15th century. The parish of Kilcolmkill was united to that of Kilninian in 1628, while the church at Kilmore seems to have continued in use until 1754, when a new building (itself replaced in 1905) was erected nearby.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1974; I B Cowan 1967; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; H Scott 1923

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions