Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, 41 Broad Street

Tenement (20th Century)

Site Name Stirling, 41 Broad Street

Classification Tenement (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Wynd

Canmore ID 220855

Site Number NS79SE 386

NGR NS 79277 93718

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/220855

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Activities

Photographic Survey (8 June 2018)

RCAHMS Inventory notes the inserted panel over the doorway as appearing to be that illustrated by Fleming (1) thought to have been originated in an earlier building known as Lawrie’s Turnpike, once situated near Baker Street.

Fleming, writing at the turn of last century, noted the panel had been inserted into “the wall of an adjacent modern house” in his chapter on Stirling’s Alms House. This panel, and another (inserted into the Boys Industrial School), were reputed to have been re-housed from the earlier building during contemporary repairs. (2)

1) RCAHMS Inventory of Stirlingshire (1963) p 297

2) Fleming, J Ancient Castles and Mansions of Stirling (1902) p117-122

The tenement has been photographed as a general record upgrade for a number of buildings in Broad Street and St Mary’s Wynd forming part of the reconstruction of the area from the inter war period, interrupted by WW2, concluding in the post war era.

Visited by HES (Survey & Recording) IF & LM 8 June 2018.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions